Delving into the birthing realms this week with the wonderful Sheryl Sidery. Sheryl has been practicing midwifery since 1985. The experience of her first birth lead her into this beautiful line of work. She felt alone and unsupported. She felt that no one was aware of what an enormous life changing experience becoming a mother is, and so she became a midwife. She wanted to be truly “with woman” as she embarks on motherhood – feeling strong, confident, transformed and joyful. For her, that’s what midwifery is all about. Her primary philosophy is that pregnancy and birth is a period of great transformation, one that is necessary for parenting. She finds that having one-to-one midwifery care throughout pregnancy, birth and early parenting provides the best start to life with a newborn.
In this interview we cover:
- The current state of the modern medical birthing system in Australia
- How women’s bodies are designed to have natural births when supported
- Keys to ensuring birthing occurs without intervention
- The biggest myths when it comes to conscious birthing
- Why home births are the new black
- How to prepare a woman’s body for an easy birth
- And so much more.